6/5/08

Making History

In spite of my recent post, I've tried to keep the blog politically neutral over the past couple of months. Still, this week was more about history and less about politics. Tuesday night, when Barack Obama became the Democratic Nominee for President, it symbolized a change in America. Imagine if you'd told someone 50 years ago that a Black man would be a party's nominee for President - they would have laughed. Blacks were considered "those people" and they were forced to be separate but "equal".

Now, Obama has transcended the stereotypes of race and shown people that we should judge them for the "content of their characters and not for the color of their skin." I know there was a racial divide in the Primary, but I still believe that Obama can overcome any doubts about his background and bring this country together.

His story is an American story. A man of biracial heritage. Raised by a single mother and his grandparents. Rising from poverty. A self made man. People from around the country see their stories in his. That is what is great about this country. Anyone can become President. Perhaps like Michelle Obama said, "I'm really proud of my Country."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so does this mean that no one can every claim "racisim" in the United States every again and we can throw away affirmative action programs?

just curious what you think about that.

Live From Mommyville... said...

Concerning Michelle, what she actually said was, for the first time I'm really proud of my country. She and her husband scare me as a first family. Racism is still alive, and comments like hers fuel the fire. How old is she, and what kind of education has she had, and only now, toward the middle age of her life is she for the first time proud of her country? What part of America do they stand to unify?