3/20/08

Sneak Attack


It's 2 in the morning and you're up with your child trying to calm him back to sleep. Without warning you see a shadow cross in front of your house and see the door knob turn to the right. Sound like a bad ADT commercial, wrong. This was Tara's reality early Monday morning.

Alex was crying and so Tara got out of bed and went in to help him back down to sleep. As she walked down the hallway to the kitchen, she saw someone walk up to our door and the person attempted to come into our house. Of course she screamed, yelling for me to get up and stop the would be intruder. Unfortunately, I was out - too asleep to hear her calling my name.

Tara ran up to the door and held the lock, preventing the person from opening the door. After a few futile attempts at entry the intruder walked away from the door and Tara rushed to find two things: the phone (to call the police) and a knife (in case the person tried again to get in).

While on the phone with emergency Tara again yelled my name and this time I popped out of bed.

"What's going on?"

"Someone's outside trying to break into the house. I'm on the phone with the police."

I went up to the blinds in our bedroom and prepared to engage the stranger outside. I figured it was someone trying to break into our cars. If I simply yelled at them I was sure they would bolt. So I opened the blinds slightly to see the criminal and it was my MOTHER!!!!

"Tara, hang up the phone. It's my mom."

"What? What's she doing here?"

I went outside and calmly asked my mom why she was at my house at 2:15 am. She said that she had brought home a present from her trip to NY and she wanted to leave it for the kids. I guess it couldn't wait til morning...

A minute later the ordeal was over. No one was arrested, no one was stabbed. Today I can actually look back on it and laugh. Still, I can't believe we almost went toe to toe with an invader that turned out to be my mom. I guess the t-shirts were worth the scare, but this has to be the post of the year...

3 comments:

Patty said...

What do you say? Post of the year. However, I don't know how calm I would have been had it been my mother! What the heck! You had me going . . .

Sorry T -

jfasioe said...

I second that for post of the year.

chappo said...

Almost as classic as the response we got after the "Colby Dunford" incident.

Classic Covili