9/3/07

Going on a Bear Hunt

Another Houtz reunion has come and gone. This year Tara was in charge so we followed tradition and returned to Bear Lake. I have enjoyed every place we've gone over the past few years, but Bear Lake over Labor Day just seems like a Houtz trip. Everyone was able to come up for most, if not all of the weekend and it was perfect weather to spend time relaxing at the lake.


For us, the trip was a perfect chance for our kids to play with their cousins. Having just returned from a camping trip where Kennedy and Alex were the only kids, this was a BIG deal. Last week, we were the only form of entertainment and this week, there were about 10 kids to play with. Kennedy absolutely loved spending time at the lake. Even though she repeatedly said that she "wanted to go home" on the drive up, once we settled in she loved it. Playing in the sand and running in the water, she never wanted to go back to the condo. Even Alex enjoyed playing along the shore. Too bad he still thinks that everything goes in your mouth. He spent a good deal of the week with a sand goatee, but I guess that's life with a one year old boy.



The highlight of the trip was Aunt Char and the Bear Hunt. She repeatedly gathered together all the kids under 6 years old and had them sing and act out a cute little song about going on a bear hunt. I think by the end of the trip everyone could sing the lyrics. Still, watching Kennedy get excited to sing and play with her cousins made it all worth listening to the song a few too many times.


Watch the kids go on a Bear Hunt


I am amazed that the Houtz clan can pull off a trip every year with so many people. It is a testament to Lynn and June and the bond they've developed with their children. I think June told me that they've gone to Bear Lake about 40 times in the 50+ years they've been married. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that June wants to go to the beach every year. Where else can she spend 3 days in a bathing suit, sporting the "Granny 9" to all the beach goers.

All in all it was a fun trip. Everyone had the chance to relax over a long weekend and it was nice to spend time as a family. With Char in charge of the trip next year I'm sure you'll read about the 2008 Houtz Family Reunion at the Lake once again. And that's okay with me.

No comments: