9/10/07

Bear Lake Fun

I know it is a week late, but I wanted to post about our Bear Lake trip. While growing up, my family went to Bear Lake every year. We started going with my mom's family even before I can remember. We spent hours on the beach with all the cousins, Aunts and Uncles and everyone in between. My Grandma Measom would help us make bracelets out of the tiny shells we would find on the beach. My Uncle Glade would bring full size candy bars from his store and we would eat until we got sick. One of my favorite trips to Bear Lake was when I was about 11 or 12 and there was a big storm that hit. After the storm, Jessica and I went to the beach and the waves were huge. The water was warm (Bear Lake is usually very cold) and we played for hours in those waves.



My family has tried to continue the tradition of Bear Lake and we still go almost every year. So we spent Labor Day weekend at Bear Lake with my family (only 41 people). Quite the crew and I was in charge of the vacation this year. After several different versions of who was going to sleep where and who was cooking what meals, and several hours on the phone, we made it.

The trip to Bear Lake consisted of Alex whining most of the way until I broke down and gave him a sucker, and Kennedy claiming that she didn't like Bear Lake and wanted to go home. I knew we would be fine if we could just get there! We made it at about 8:30 pm on Thursday (just in time to see the Utes lose) and once we were inside the condo with Grandma and Grandpa Houtz, Kennedy decided that Bear Lake was pretty cool.


As Jared has already posted, we spent most of the time at the beach, trying to stop Alex from eating the sand, and building sandcastles (although Kennedy spent most of her time trying to wreck the sandcastles.) We went to the playground, played on the grass, rode scooters and played mini golf. Mini golf is much more interesting when you have 8 kids under the age of 6 playing with you. We also had a great game of wiffle ball (Houtz family vs. the in-laws). I am glad to say that the Houtz crew pulled out the win after a slow start. I think that puts us at 2-0.


We had a great time at Bear Lake this year. The weather was perfect, the card games competitive and the company was fun. I love Bear Lake. I hope that it is a tradition that we can keep up as long as possible.

No comments: