4/24/07

Diary of a Jazz Fan


I guess I better write about the Jazz while they're still playing. A season that started with so much promise is fizzling to a heart breaking end. The Jazz won the Northwest Division in March and then proceeded to bomb for the last month of the season. We lost home court in the first round and barely made it to 51 wins. Somewhere we lost our confidence, and it hasn't returned.

This leads us to the first round matchup with the Rockets. I don't know that we have an answer for T Mac and Yao. Problem is - as soon as you start to double team the stars, guys like Battier and Hayes start knocking down 3's. It reminds me so much of guys like Byron Scott, Jim Paxson, Andrew Toney, Devean George, Bruce Bowen, and on and on... When average players get wide open 3's they have a decent chance to make them.

As frustrating as we are to watch on defense I think our offense makes me even more frustrated. What happened to Memo? Can he even make a shot? Isn't Derek Fisher supposed to provide veteran leadership? Can he even protect the ball? Should Andrei Kirilenko even play? Will we even score in the 3rd Period?

I know that many of these problems will be remedied when we play games 3 & 4 at home, but I don't know that we can win a game on the road. I hope we right the ship on Thursday or this season will be over. It's been a great year and I'd hate to see us drop out without putting up a fight.

No comments: