2/3/07

Mom's Long Day

I've been a bit hesitant to write about the past month for my mom, but I feel like the time is right. Roughly one month ago my Mom noticed an abnormality in one of her breasts, the left one. It seems as though some tissue had begun to calcify. No one was quite sure what to make of the tissue, but after multiple mammograms, it was determined there was small cancerous tissue in the left breast. So, Mom had two lumpectomies to remove the tissue. Each time the oncology report came back with traces of cancerous tissue still remaining.

So, yesterday my mom went into LDS Hospital at 5:00 am for a scheduled mastectomy of her left breast. It was the only way to be sure all the cancer could be removed and stop anything from spreading into other areas of her body. It was early enough in the whole process that a mastectomy provided the best chance for the future. After about two hours or so, the operation was deemed a success.

I went to the hospital around 7:00 am, just after they had wheeled my mom into surgery. Much of the day was spent hanging out with family. I think the highlight of the day was as they took my mom up to her room. Dad was trying to decide whether or not to ride in the elevator with her. At the last second he hopped into the elevator, just as it closed - on him! As the doors closed, Alicia and I heard an "Ohh," and a "Well." Turns out he was ok, but for a moment there we thought we might need a double room! He must have recovered though for the rest of the day was spent in his normal pose....

2 comments:

jfasioe said...

Hope all goes well for your mom. As for your dad, that pic is a classic, definitely blogworthy.

Annie said...

Jared,

Good luck with your mom. I am sure she is a tough lady and will pull through. We'll keep your family in our thoughts.