2/17/07

Thoughts on Trolley Square


This entire week the Salt Lake community has been trying to figure out what really happened on Monday. Like most, we were at home watching the Jazz game and, like usual, I was channel surfing during the commercials. As we came across Channel 2 there was a breaking story that shots were being fired at Trolley Square. After seeing that headline, we didn't make it back to the Jazz game. Even though the details were sketchy for the first couple of hours, I couldn't help but watch and listen to the accounts as witnesses discussed the gunman's rampage through the mall.

We didn't know any of the victims that night, but it seems like everyone around here knows someone who was at Trolley Square on Monday. On Wednesday I talked to Lauren,a guy who works down the hall from me. He was eating at the Desert Edge when the shots rang out. As he and a friend ran to get back to their vehicle they passed one of victims, dead in the parking lot. I can't imagine how awful that must have been! Thursday night, Trolley Square came up with my college students and Samantha told us her account of working at the Sharper Image on Monday night. She said they heard the shots and then all barricaded themselves in the storage room, using the office safe to block the door. Unbelievable!

It's just so weird to think about all the times we've shopped/eaten at Trolley Square. Anyone could have been there on Monday. Not that we go there often, but I usually eat there twice a year or so. I guess the real issue is how the world is changing. I know that Salt Lake is changing and that events like this, although infrequently, will happen again. I just hope and pray that we can reach out to the outcasts in our midst. Who knows, maybe a kind word can sooth a troubled heart.

No comments: