7/20/06

Tell us More Mr. Science


All week long I've been in a Community Mapping class at work. Long story, short version - Using GPS waypoints and a software called ArcView you can create a map detailing out some kind of community issue. It's been great learning the software, the class has been a little long though. We've had about 10 instructors at various points in the week and it's "too many cooks in the kitchen." They are on top of each other trying teach 'one more point.' Jared Fawson and I have sat in the back of the room and tried to top one another with running commentary about the goins' on in class. I know that I'm only amusing to myself.

Today we went to Sugarhouse Park and measured various elements of the Parley's Stream. I was in charge of measuring pH levels and distributed oxygen levels. It was fun to play Mr. Science and find out about the stream and how it changes over distance. Just so you know the distributed oxygen level varied from 9.5 - 5.5, can you believe it?

No comments: