6/15/06

Escalante: Day 4


I loved our campsite last night. This was the first night that I actually slept for a couple of hours. I guess it must have been the soft sand beneath me that cushioned my bag a bit more. Who knows, who cares - I just hope tonight is more of the same. Our campsite has to be the Hilton of Coyote Gultch, not only was my bed soft, but there were recliners for us to relax in after our tough day of hiking.

We got a pretty early start today. I can tell the boys are getting plenty of exercise, since they've been going to bed around 9:30 and waking up at 7 am. After a couple bowls of oatmeal we left camp and headed out on the trail. We'd been hiking for about 2 hours when we encountered some really cool waterfalls. One by one we hopped into the shower to take a much needed shower. Let's say that the water wasn't as cold as Monday, but it still took my breath away.

After playing in the water for a few hours we continued on and eventually stopped to eat lunch beneath an arch. I can't believe how many incredible rock formations there are down here. It really is an oasis in the desert. We moved on to our camp and prepared for our trip out of the canyon tomorrow morning. We finally started to run into other people in our 2nd campsite. It makes sense, as we were near Jacob Hamblin's Arch - a well known landmark in the area. It was funny to see the boys perk up when we turned a bend in the river and ran into some teenage girls. The packs never seemed so light for some of them! The only thing that picked up my step was the last picture!

No comments: