
We got started today for our big adventure down to Escalante for our backpacking trip. I don't know how I agreed to do this, since I haven't gone backpacking since I was a scout and I am considered larger and out of shape! We left SLC with 6 leaders and 6 boys - a pretty good ratio! The drive took us about 5 hours, with the necessary pit stops along the way. I was glad to run into a Subway so I could get some lunch.
Once we found a campsite, we were off for our first hike of the trip. We went to find Upper Calf Creek Falls. It wasn't a bad hike, about 1 mile round trip across some cool slick rock. Of course who could resist the chance to hop into the falls once you'd made the journey. I don't believe anyone who says you adjust the longer you're in cold water. You don't adjust, you get numb! I have never been so glad to get a picture and get out of the water!After we got back from the Falls, one of the leaders was feeling pretty crummy. He had all the signs of heat stroke, so we put his feet up and gave him plenty of fluids. It didn't seem to be working very well, so Don suggested we give him a blessing. One problem, I thought I had packed everything we needed for the trip. Socks, mess kit, stove, jerky - I forgot to pack consecrated oil. How stupid can you be?! Well, I guess I wasn't the only one, since no one else had their oil with them either. After searching high and low the only thing we could come up with was a packet of olive oil from Subway. Let's just say I know it won't make any commercials, but I've never been so glad we stopped at Subway earlier that day. We consecrated the oil and administered to our exhausted leader. What a day!
No comments:
Post a Comment