10/4/08

Diary of a Red Sox Fan

It isn't often that lightening strikes twice in the same sports week. Last night it was the Utes pulling it out at the end, tonight it was the Red Sox turn. Boston is playing on the road in the ALDS this year. Normally I wouldn't worry about the Sox against the Angels, but we went 1-8 this year with Anaheim and they were the class of the American League this year. Still, Boston has won 10 straight games against the Halos - well, make that 11 straight games.

Boston went up 4-0 in the first inning tonight and really had the Angels on the ropes. Regardless, it was way to early in the game and Dice K has a way of keeping the opposition in the contest. Sure enough that's exactly what happened. By the end of the 8th inning, it was 5-5 and Angels were the team with momentum. We had one more turn at bat, with K-Rod (the man who set the MLB record for saves this season) on the mound.

We started out with a double from Big Papi and then seemed to run out of gas. It was up to J.D. Drew and he was down to two strikes. I turned to Tara and prophesied, "Here comes the strikeout." It was then that there was a crack of the bat and the ball disappeared into the center field bleachers. I guess I shouldn't give up on the Sox this time of year. 2004 changed everything for Boston, but I guess some old habits die hard for a pessimistic Sox fan. Let's just hope we can sweep the Angels and then repent for a terrible September against the Rays. GO SOX!!

No comments: