9/2/08

Too Close for Comfort

I am a huge advocate of public transportation. If I can, I ride it every day to and from work. I love the fact that we can get cars off the road and people where they need to be. Still, an interesting effect takes place the last of week of August each year. The bus gets inundated with 18 year old virgins - no not that kind of novice, I'm talking about Bus Virgins.

Bus Virgins are people who don't know how to get on and off the bus. I know it doesn't sound that hard, but it is for a 1st timer. Virgins don't know when to show their pass, so they spend 30 seconds digging it out of their wallet - while everyone sits around and waits. Bus Virgins almost refuse to sit down next to anyone else, afraid they might catch something.

All of these factors lead to one result - slow, crowded buses. I can't wait until the semester is a few weeks old and, one by one, the Virgins either figure it out or find another way to campus. Either way I just hope we can start talking about safe bus travel in high schools or simply preach abstinence.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Any bets on how many times Jared will write about the bus this year? Maybe we should do a poll...

Angee said...

Tara - you're the best!

This is by far my favorite public transportation post so far...