Juno is a movie that we've both wanted to see since we heard about it months ago. Of course, the trailer was funny and the fact that it included Dwight from the Office didn't hurt. Still, I was a little apprehensive because the topic of the movie is teenage pregnancy and adoption. I guess I was worried that it would be a little too close to home. Juno is a great character. She embodies what I remember so much about teens while I taught high school. Students could be profound at times, and then a few minutes later, they could say some of the most absurd nonsense you've ever heard.The scenes where Juno and the birth parents discussed the upcoming event, were far too familiar to me. It was interesting because the husband in the film (Jason Bateman's character) was way too stereotypical of the guy who isn't ready to become a dad. That didn't reflect my emotions at all. I wasn't sure if I wanted to adopt, but I never questioned my desire to become a father. Watching Jennifer Garner's character hold the little baby for the first time was a 3 year flashback to watching Tara snuggle with Kennedy at the hospital.
I liked the movie - in fact I watched parts of it twice. Tara and I spent much of Friday night talking about whether or not we'll want our kids to watch the movie when they are older (much older). Who knows? Maybe it will help them to understand the decisions that brought them into our family.
The second movie, Lars and the Real Girl, is something that's hard to describe, but impossible to forget. Lars starts out slowly, with a tale about a quiet man who lives an solitary life. Everything changes when Lars shows up one day with a life size sex doll that has become his new girlfriend. You know that there's no way to accept the premise of this movie, but you can't stop watching - anxiously waiting to see how people will respond to Lars and Bianca.Over the course of the movie you really start to understand how important it is to be accepted for who you are, regardless of how different each of us may be. I thought about how this show would play out if Lars was a Mormon guy bringing his plastic girlfriend to the Ward? How accepting would we be? Even though the film takes a while to get going, I hope you'll give it a chance.
1 comment:
Brandon and I loved Juno. We were laughing out loud on an airplane when we first saw it. Our favorite part was when "Dwight" is in the drugstore and tells her to "stop shaking the pregnancy test, that its not an etch a sketch, and its one doodle she can't undo." We laughed so hard we cried. It also made me cry in a couple parts. Crying and laughing=good show in my books!
Post a Comment