5/29/06

Weekend at the Cabin


As Jared mentioned, we spent Friday and Saturday at my parents cabin, shingling the roof. I can't say that I helped out much on the roof. I think I spent approximately 4 minutes up there, lining up shingles. I was called down to be the official shingle cutter, while Willie, Jared and Dick did the roof work. I can say that I didn't mind getting off the roof. The cabin roof is a lot steeper than the roof on our house. So my dad and I did the groundwork for the men on the roof. They would tell us what size of shingle they needed, I could cut it and my dad would toss it up. We had a pretty good system going. When Heather and Candace weren't wrestling with kids, they helped out with some cutting also. They also got stuck taking the old shingles to the dump and emptying out the truck. They claimed that they had the worst job of the day. We ended up finishing before the rain hit and the roof looks great. Even though we don't use the cabin as much as we would like, it's nice to at least help out on some projects when we can.


Inside the cabin is where the hard work was. Bonnie, Charlene and my mom were trying to keep all the kids happy and out of the roofers way. After spending some time with the kids inside, I think the people on the roof had the easy job. Kennedy seemed to enjoy being the family bully this weekend and at one point had Dax crying because she kept stealing his Cheetos. She's really not a bully, but seems to know what buttons to push to get someone mad at her. Besides making all the kids cry at least once, Kennedy had a blast at the cabin. She played hard all day and by the time we left, she was exhausted and filthy. She crashed on the way home and Jared and I were out pretty quick after we got home. It was a fun, but tiring weekend.

No comments: