2/16/12

Dad's Celebration

I've been putting off writing this post. It has been hard saying goodbye to my dad. I guess you always think you have more time. But it was my dad's time to go. After a two week battle with pancreatitis and lots of side effects, my dad's body couldn't fight anymore. He gave it a good fight, but it wasn't meant to be. He passed away on January 20, 2012. He was surrounded by family and went quietly. I was glad that I was able to say goodbye to my dad, but it was hard watching him pass away. I've never experienced anything like that before and honestly, I don't really want to do it again.

My dad's funeral was on Wednesday, January 25th. I had no idea how time consuming and draining it was to plan a funeral. We all helped my mom with the details and honestly, there wasn't a second to breath. We finally got everything together and the viewing and funeral were really nice. It was amazing how many people showed up to pay their respects to my dad. It meant so much to my mom.

The funeral was a great celebration of my dad's life. Everyone that spoke did a nice job and the music was great (except for the organ solo-not sure what was going on with that!) We laughed and cried as we remembered dad and all the good times we had together. As hard as it was, I really thought it was a great way to celebrate his life.

After the funeral, we drove to the cemetery. When we got there, the American Legion was there to honor my dad for his time in the Navy. It was awesome to see all these men lined up, saluting my dad as they took him out of the hearse. My nephew dedicated the grave, then the Legion played taps and did the gun salute. Our friend and neighbor gave my mom the flag. I sobbed all the way through. It was so emotional.  After the American Legion was done, we all placed a white rose on my dad's casket to say our last goodbyes.  It was hard to leave the cemetery. It all seemed so final.
Lynn's Funeral

Lynn's Funeral
Lynn's Funeral
Lynn's Funeral
Lynn's Funeral
After lunch at the church, we headed back to my mom's. We were all exhausted. We hung out for a little while, remembering dad and the day. When it was time to go home, we decided to head back to see dad's grave. We made it there right at sunset. There were lots of pretty flowers on dad's grave. We took some pictures and said one more goodbye. Lynn's Funeral


 The one thing that makes this somewhat easier is knowing that my dad had a good long life. He was 81. I'm sad that he didn't get a few more years, but it was his time to go. I know that he is in a better place and I'm thankful to know that his spirit still lives on. It helps to know that we will see him again someday.

I hope my dad knows how much I love him. I looked up to him so much growing up. I loved spending time with him, following him around the garden, and the yard and watching him fix and build things. He was such a support to me and all the things I wanted to do. He was always there in the background, cheering me on in whatever endeavor I had. I loved my dad's quiet ways. He wasn't much of a talker, but if you got him on the right subject, he opened right up. My dad was an obedient, righteous, good man. I will miss him so much. I love you dad.

Lynn's Funeral

2 comments:

Angee said...

Thanks for sharing T. I didn't know your dad a ton but what I did know of him (and felt from him) was a righteous man that was a loving dad and a generous person.

We love you Lynn!

Patty said...

That was a great post T. Thanks for sharing. Lynn was indeed, an amazing individual.