6/29/11

Diary of a Red Sox Fan

A few months ago I learned that the Red Sox would be in Philadelphia during the week of my conference. I can't believe this keeps happening to me, but I can't turn down the chance to see Boston when we're in the same city.  There was one problem - tickets.  Since the Phillies are the best team in the National League it is really tough to get a ticket to a game.  Toss in the fact that the Sox are one of the best teams in the American League and add to that the flight from Boston to Philly is dirt cheap - well, you can see this wasn't going to be easy.

I entered a drawing on the Phillies website for tickets to the game, but I think they didn't really have any for fans that weren't willing to purchase a three game pack.  Since I wasn't going to buy tix to Phillies games against the Astros and the D-Backs I figured my chance to attend the game were zero.  Then some friends of mine let me know they were going to buy tickets via StubHub and they asked if I wanted to go with them - what do you think?

Game day was finally upon us and my worst fear game to fruition - Cliff Lee was on the mound for the Phillies and half our team wouldn't be playing.  I like interleague games because it's helped me watch some Red Sox games I never could have seen before.  I don't like it when the games are in National League parks because you can't play the DH.  Who really wants to watch the pitcher strikeout?

In spite of the talent disadvantage it was fun to see Boston play again.  Josh Beckett was on the hill for the Sox and he pitched well, only gave up 5 hits.  The problem was 2 of those hits were home runs.  Cliff Lee was, well, Cliff Lee and the Red Sox could only get 2 hits the entire game.

Phillies/Sox

Final Score:  Phillies 5 - Red Sox 0.

Still, it was fun to go to the game with friends.  It was great to be in a ball park again.  It was cool to break out my Red Sox jersey on the road and hear it from the fans.  Overall, a pretty good evening.

No comments: