5/2/11

American Pride

Last night Tara and I were just settling down after putting the kids to bed. We turned on the TV and were flipping channels when the national news cut in.

"We have breaking news that there will be a press conference from the White House. The President is going to announce that our forces have killed Osama bin Laden."


What?! Really! Unbelievable!

Tara and I just looked at each other. Like most Americans we'd given up expecting to hear any news of finding bin Laden years ago. I mean, it's been 10 years. It just didn't seem likely to happen.

Immediately following 9/11 capturing bin Laden was a certainty. He had killed our people and now we were going to find him and kill him. Finding one man in the middle of Afghanistan proved to be a lot more difficult that imagined.

President Bush spent 7 years looking for him and nothing. President Obama dedicated more resources to tracking bin Laden and still nothing. Then the news broke. Osama bin Laden had been killed in a firefight with US troops in Pakistan. It was surreal to hear the words and watch the President's speech.



I think the best way to describe my emotions is closure. I wasn't affected directly by 9/11 - no one I knew was killed. My daily routine hasn't changed that much. Still, as an American, I felt like my way of life had been attacked. We were changed, as a country. And so yesterday mattered to me. Like many Americans, death of Osama bin Laden brings a sense of closure to one of the darkest events in our Nation's history. It was certainly the darkest day I've ever witnessed in my lifetime.

Today, I'm proud of our Troops. I'm proud of our Leaders. I'm proud to be an American.

1 comment:

Bryan and Ellie said...

Huh? I though Obama wanted to impose Sharia law, not take down Mr. Al Queda himself. I'm confused.