5/22/11

Still Here


It's May 22, 2011.

We're still here.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised.  I know a lot of people hoped that we wouldn't be here today, and I have to say I feel bad for them.  As a person of faith, I understand that you can put a lot of trust in something - in someone.  The challenge is predicting the end of the world doesn't seem to make a lot of spiritual sense.  Christ talked about the fact that no one would know when he would return.

Sure, there are always signs that can be interpreted in a variety of ways.

After September 11th the world was coming to an end.

Katrina witnessed it was time to prepare.

When President Obama was elected many felt like the Constitution was hanging by a thread.

I'm sure everyone around here will say the end is nigh when an earthquake finally strikes Salt Lake.

All of these events are terrible to think about (for some), but I don't necessarily chalk them up to any end of days prophecy.  Things happen.  We can't waste our lives worrying about the events we can't control.

I like to think of last weekend reminding me to make the most of what I've been given.  To savor the good parts of life and to live each day as though it was the end.

Besides, I'm sure another prophecy is just around the corner anyway....

No comments: