If last night's game wasn't enough drama for you imagine this: can a father make it through a five hour game with his two young children and his father in tow? We'll see in a minute.
Tara volunteered to stay with my mom to watch Dylan, so Kennedy, Alex, Big Al, and I headed back to Coors Field to watch the finale of the series between the Red Sox and Rockies.
This was the first time I've ever taken the kids to a professional game and I wasn't sure what to expect. I figured if they had enough treats we could make it through the game. Little did I know the wasn't just any game. It was an 11 inning, 6 hour marathon. Needless to say, we were a bit underprepared.
Everything started off well enough. On the way to our seats Dede and Alex wanted some cotton candy so I thought the first few innings were in the bag. I forgot about the need for wet wipes. Rookie mistake. Lucky for me the woman in front of us heard Kennedy's cries for help and passed us back a few tissues.
Alex didn't quite seem like himself though. We'd been out most of the day and he was trying to put a brave face on, but he wasn't feeling well. Most of the game he laid in my lap and tried to sleep. My dreams of teaching my son about baseball would have to go on hold til next time. Oh well...A couple of hours in and I knew Kennedy was reaching her limit. Large Sprite, Dippin Dots, and three trips to the bathroom and that was it. We had stayed through the 6th inning and watched the Red Sox give up a 5 run lead. It was 8-6 Rockies and we were headed out of the park.
Of course you know what happened once we left. The Red Sox rallied (two Home Runs from Dustin Pedroia) and the game ended 13-11 for Boston. An epic to be sure. Still, I got to watch several hours of baseball and my kids got to experience a night in the majors. Even if it was only at the concessions stand...


No comments:
Post a Comment