Today was Primary voting day in Utah. There were two choices on the ballot - the Republican Senate primary between a pair of ultra conservative Tea Party wantabees, and the Democratic 2nd Congressional primary between Jim Matheson and Claudia Wright. I could have cared less about the GOP race (are they really that different from one another?), but I had a long shot candidate in the second contest.
Why should I vote for Claudia Wright?
Does she really have a chance?
Could a liberal Democrat win in November?
I don't really have anything against Jim Matheson. He has been a good representative for the state of Utah. Does he represent me? Not really. But he does represent the majority of people who live within his district - a decidedly Republican district. My vote wasn't against Jim Matheson - my vote was for Claudia Wright.
Claudia Wright was a Social Studies teacher at Cottonwood High School for years and I was fortunate enough to have her as a teacher. She challenged the ways in which I viewed the world - always asking students to look beyond the surface at the deeper issues involved. Claudia is one of the smartest people I have ever known. If we could have more people like her in Washington I know the country would be in good hands.
In the end Matheson won the Primary 68% - 32%, but in my eyes Claudia was victorious. She led a grassroots campaign that took a 5-term congressman to a Primary. She showed all of her former students that she wasn't all talk. A teacher who would rather look at the past than try and impact the future. To me - Ms. Wright was, and always has been, a winner!
No comments:
Post a Comment