7/17/10

Be Strong and of a Good Courage

For the 10th time in the past 12 years I attended Youth Conference this week. It doesn't seem to matter what my church calling is, I end up going to Youth Conference. I'd never admit this to the Bishop, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love escaping with the kids to fun places all over the state and enjoying the great times and spirit filled workshops. Since this year was a Stake Youth Conference I had a little more to do, as I'm currently a counselor in the Stake YM Presidency. That didn't stop me from having a great time with our ward though.

The conference was held at the Reed Ranch located up in the mountains outside of Strawberry Reservoir. Pretty close to home, but just far enough away that you felt apart from the world. It's a great venue, with tons of activities, lots of open space, and a nice temperature drop. I should mention that two other things make the Reed Ranch a can't miss: all the food you can eat, and you sleep in bunk houses rather than tents.

youth conference 2010I think the highlight of the event had to be the workshop our ward was in charge of for the younger kids. With over 70 jr. high kids in the same room we knew we had to capture their attention. What better way than through a game show? Let's Make a Deal was a huge hit. We gave cool prized any time a contestant could answer Gospel trivia questions. Kids got a "booby prize" when they answered pop culture questions. It was a good object lesson and everyone had fun. Sam stole the show as the Big Cottonwood Stake's version of Monte Hall.

Other highlights included:

  • The unusual field olympics with the Green team.  We were awesome at events like the A frame walk, but the human pretzel did us in.
  • Loved the Captain Moroni reenactment with the Title of Liberty.  The kids were great as they all gathered together to join in their pledge of loyalty.
  • Horseback riding was an adventure.  I've never riden a horse before, so this was a new experience for me.  I thought it was fun, although I don't think I'm ready for a pair of boots any time soon.
  • The stomp was awesome.  The kids were a ton of fun.  Even a bunch of us old guys got in and mixed it up.  I tried my best, but there was no way I could keep up with Mark from the 7th ward.  That guy is an animal on the dance floor.
  • The hike of unusual length and wrong turns.  What should have been a mile nature walk turned into a 5 mile death march (not really).  It was hilarious to hear everyone complain about a little extra walking.  Thanks for the detour Eric!
youth conference 2010

No comments: