
I've paid a lot of attention to the Health Care debate over the past several months. It's amazing to me that something that seems to be such a common sense notion - Every American Deserves the Right to Health Care - should be so polarizing. We have millions of uninsured people in our country. People who have jobs. People who have families. People who are trying to make it. Health Care is too expensive in our country if you don't have access to employer based insurance. The fight has been fierce over the proposed Health Care plan recently passed in the House of Representatives. I can understand how both sides feel about this issue.
Fiscal responsibility hasn't always been a trademark of the Democratic party. I know and understand that this bill will cost money. Government programs aren't cheap. The question I ask myself is: Is it worth it? Will this bill bring down Health Care costs? Will it improve the health of Americans, both wealthy and poor? Will we be better off as a country because of this bill? In my heart I believe the answer is yes.
I've always been lucky. I have had great insurance coverage working for the state of Utah for my entire career. My insurance is relatively inexpensive and my coverage is fairly extensive. Several of you aren't that lucky. Members of my family have pre-existing conditions and are self-employed. This is a "double whammy" in the insurance game. The costs are so high that any hiccup in health could mean a financial catastrophe. My family and millions of others need access to affordable health care, without denial for pre-existing conditions. My family needs this bill.
In the end, I believe we're witnessing an historic moment in our country. Health Care coverage isn't a political issue, it's a moral issue and I think we've made the right choice as a Nation.
1 comment:
Amen, brother.
Post a Comment