2/2/10

Book Review: When the Game was Ours


I'm a total basketball junkie. As a kid I grew up watching the greatest rivalry in sports, Lakers vs. Celtics. More importantly it was Bird vs. Magic. I wasn't a casual fan, I was firmly in the Bird camp. I hated the Lakers, and I hated Magic. As I've gotten older I have learned to appreciate the rivalry, and both men involved. Bird wouldn't have been who he was if it wasn't for Magic.

This all leads us into, When the Game was Ours. I loved this book. It was a nostalgic look back at the 80's and a major part of my childhood. There really wasn't much new information in the book. I knew most of the stories. But I loved hearing the stories from these two great rivals. It was so great to relive those classic matchups and to hear the reflections after 20 years have gone by.

I think my favorite parts of the book was the development of the friendship between these two iconic figures. Having spent the first half of their careers hating one another - I was amazed how quickly the walls came down when they truly spoke to one another, not as Magic and Bird, but as Earvin and Larry. They really became friends, friends that matter to one another. It was interesting look into the lives of two men that fate brought together - on a basketball court.

No comments: