10/5/09

Entrada


A few months ago I was asked to participate in a weekend retreat down in Moab for work. This sounds like a no brainer, right? Then, the pot got even sweeter as the retreat involved GPS activities so each participant would be getting a GPS. Can this get any better? Finally, the word retreat was a bit misleading because the training was to be held at the Entrada Field Station and there wasn't any lodging. This was camping. For some that may have been a deal breaker, but you know that doesn't bother me.

The trip was great. We had a wonderful group of teachers and other technology trainers from around the state. Most of the people I already knew and it was a fantastic chance to make some new friends with those I just met. I have to say that you really get to know someone as you sit around a campfire together. I've been in a lot of meetings with the trainers, but there's nothing to compare with sharing stories by the open flame. It was awesome.

As part of our training we went around the ranch and created various maps using the the GPS to mark coordinates. Our groups split up and identified pioneer dwellings, fence lines, irrigation paths, and more. I know that part doesn't sound that exciting, but it is a great example of the power of GPS and GIS (a mapping software). I know the managers of the ranch were very appreciative of our efforts and they hope it's an example of future projects that can take place at Entrada.

One of the crazy parts of the weekend was the fact that we had electricity and wireless Internet out there in the middle of nowhere. How often can you say you were checking your fantasy football team while laying in a tent one hour away from a paved road? It was new for me, but a nice way to "rough it" in the desert.

No comments: