7/14/12

Now Batting - Kaaren and the Softball Hall of Fame

Growing up there were a few constants in my world - I was always the biggest kid in my class at school, we would go camping up in the Uintas for our family vacation, and my mom could be found at the Complex twice a week (or more).   I think Jason and Alicia would agree that we practically grew up over at the playground near the ball diamond.  Because Mom was always scoring slowpitch softball, we would tag along and experience the world that is the Complex.

My mom lived and breathed County Rec for most of my life.  Whether it was working at the Rec office during the day or her evening trips to the Complex - Mom was County Rec sports.  When she retired in 2001 we all knew that there was a big void in her life.  My mom was always part of the action and it took her a while to adjust to life in the country.

A few months ago my mom's old boss contacted me and asked if I would be willing to nominate my mom for the Utah Softball Hall of Fame.  I had never even heard of the HOF, but I said we'd be glad to help.  After calling several of the scorekeepers from the past 30 years, I was able to track down my mom's extensive history as a scorekeeper for the County.  The application was submitted, and my mom was accepted as member of the 2009 class of the Utah Softball Hall of Fame.

Last night was the induction ceremony.   We headed over to the Complex for a barbecue dinner and the  program.  In classic County Rec form, a storm blew in from the South and forced everyone into the catacombs to complete the proceedings.  Even though it was a little chaotic and noisy, it was a very nice event.  Watching my mom accept the award was an incredibly satisfying moment - she really deserves it!

I know I don't say it enough Mom, but I love you.  I am so proud of the work you accomplished and the devotion you showed to your profession.  It's not everyday that someone get inducted into a Hall of Fame - but if there's anyone who belongs in the Utah Softball Hall of Fame, it's you.  Congratulations!

Take a look at the pics....

Softball HOF

Softball HOF

Softball HOF

Softball HOF


Softball HOF

Softball HOF

1 comment:

jfasioe said...

Very nice. Congrats to your mom. Hall of Fame for anything is very cool.