This year I presented with Tim and my friend Jared Fawson. Since the Going Google book it seems that using Google as a teacher has dominated the sessions I've presented the past few months. It was a bit nerve racking to share to 200 people from around the country, but I think it went pretty well. I think our staff at UEN does a great job teaching teachers and this presentation was no different.The rest of the conference I spent my time trying to learn as much as I could about the different ways in which teachers are using technology in their classrooms. It doesn't seem like I've been away from the high school that long, but when I check the calendar it's been 9 years since I last taught teenagers. ISTE is a great way for me to stay in touch with the changing classroom climate.
The trip isn't all business though. Having a weekend in San Diego we were determined to have a lot of fun. Jared and I joined several of our friends at the Padres game - I know not the Red Sox, but baseball is still fun regardless of who's playing. Our little posse also tried to go out to eat at serveral of the local restaurants - I think our favorite was an Italian joint named Fillippe's. We had a total blast with some great friends.I guess I can't let the blog post end with a note about my accommodations for the conference. Jared was able to get his school to cover his flight to San Diego, but they weren't able to spring for a hotel room for just one school employee. That left me and my buddy a chance to become roommates for the weekend. But we weren't just roommates. The Horton Grand Hotel is so old that the rooms are barely big enough for one bed. That's right! Jared and I were the best of friends that weekend. I'm glad he was able to come, even if it meant there was more that one Brokeback joke at my expense. Truth be told, I'd do it again if it helped Jared attend the conference. Besides - I wish I knew how to quit you!

No comments:
Post a Comment