Chappo got the tickets, I planned the trip, and Jared Fawson provided the car and we were set. Jared and I left early on Friday on our ten hour trip to the Land of Enchantment. It was a fun drive. Jared and I have been friends for a long time so it easy to pass the trip with stories, pontificating, and some good tunes. The 600 miles seemed to fly by.
View Larger Map
We figured we could really make good time on this trip. With it just being a couple of guys, the stops were few and far between. We really only stopped twice, once for gas and once for lunch. We passed through Colorado and were in New Mexico before we knew it. Chappo and Michelle were nice enough to let us crash at their new house (very nice - BTW) and they made sure we were well fed the entire weekend.
Unfortunately, this wasn't much of a site seeing trip. Other than a short geocaching trip on Saturday, our only exposure to Albuquerque was a New Mexican restaurant and the Lobos football stadium. I was okay without a lot of looking around, after driving all day on Friday it was nice to hang out with friends and avoid the hustle and bustle of being a tourist.
Even though we were in New Mexico, it might as well have been a Utah home game. The stands were filled with Ute gear and the game was less of a contest and more of an exhibition. Here are some of my thoughts about the game:- The Lobos football stadium reminds me more of a high school than a college. Even so, the stands were pretty crowded and there was a fun atmosphere.
- The Utes need to hold onto the ball. They fumbled several times. Turnovers are the only way lesser opponents can stay in the game.
- Ute Fans need to show more class on the road. If I didn't know any better I'd say a few of the faithful reminded me more of Cougar blue and Ute crimson. It's enough that we were killing them, you don't need to tell Lobos fans their team sucks.
- Road trips are awesome, but only if your team wins. It would have been a long drive home had we lost the game.
We packed up early on Sunday morning and made the drive back to Utah. What a great time. Lots of good food, good conversation, good friends, and a good win for the Utes. One thing I know for sure, the next road trip with be to AZ, OR, WA, or CA and a game in the Pac 12. I can't wait!
My favorite moment of the trip. Lobos fan says it all.


No comments:
Post a Comment