9/5/09

Opting Out

Next week President Obama is scheduled to address the students of the nation. This is not uncommon in the history of the country. Reagan and Bush Sr. both gave similar speeches in 88' and 91'. From what I understand this scheduled spech is supposed to be a rallying cry for education, a chance to inspire students to aim high and dream big. So why are so many parents in Utah acting so small. Districts across the state are being bomarded with parental requests to allow students to "opt out" from hearing the President's message. Why? What are people so worried about? Is the President going to brainwash the next generation to spend liberally, raise taxes, and advocate health care reform? Come on people!

Just because a Democrat is in office shouldn't mean that Utahns have to opt out of participating civically for the next 4 (or 8) years. I haven't agreed with much that came from the White House over the past decade, but I still respected the office of the Preident. The President should have the right to talk to the students of the nation. President Obama doesn't want to brainwash your kids, mostly he wants to challenge and inspire them. I guess people around here aren't interested in that kind of message. Perhaps I'm the one who should "opt out" - of the narrow-minded Utah political landcape.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I couldn't have said it better, I feel exactly the same, almost like we are related or something! Maybe it's the "George Haycock" in us!

Anonymous said...

I, too, was amazed and even more, appalled at the reaction of many of the Utah residents who wanted to put the blinders on their children and have them ignore a plea from a president of the U.S. to do well in school. What is more of a concern to me is how many of these so-called or self-proclaimed conservative torch-bearers merely jumped on the bandwagon because of the mindless drivel they heard on the radio talk-shows, not because of any conclusion they drew by reading up on the matter and thinking for themselves. It seems that many want Obama to fail for all of the wrong reasons and can't look at the many failures of his predecessor. What? Do I have the temerity to critizice a Republican Administration? Heaven help my salvation!! Yet I challenge all the talk-show host sycophants to take a step back and learn to study the issues and think for themselves rather than taking as gospel a lot of lightweight propoganda from the advertisement-driven entertainers.

Would there have been a similar reaction in September 1963 if JFK had wanted to address the children of the nation about education? I doubt it. I recall that he received quite a warm reaction in Utah when he came here not long before he was shot? Why??

The Hemper

Liz said...

I totally agree. I was so bugged that there was even an option. He's our dang President for heavens sake. Arghhhhh....people are so lame! THE KIDS SHOULD RESPECT THAT NO MATTER WHAT AND ADULTS SHOULDN'T GIVE THEM A CHOICE!