9/23/09

Balls - Tee and Soft


I wrote a couple days ago about the kids signing up for tee ball. Tara and I weren't really sure how both would react to playing sports. This was Alex's first time to play, and Kennedy doesn't have the greatest track record for playing organized sports.

Well, the first week was about like you could imagine. Alex cried almost the entire game. He wouldn't put on his glove, he wouldn't take the field, and he certainly wouldn't go out to hit. Stage fright had consumed our little guy. Kennedy was willing to hit the ball, even if she acted like she didn't want to. In the field she would play with the dirt as much as she played with her teammates. Still, she wasn't crying so that seemed like a victory.

Last week though things seemed to change. Alex was getting more comfortable - thanks in large part to Coach Edmund (he really is a great guy). Alex really started to like hitting and he learned that he's good at it. The kid can really rip it! Kennedy is having a lot more fun as well. It never hurts when one of your best friends is on the team.

So it looks as though the tee ball experiment is going to work out after all (especially if parents keep bringing treats).

In other sports news Tara and I have been playing a little ball ourselves. For the first time in our married lived we're playing co-ed recreational softball. About a month ago Tara's niece put together a team and asked if we wanted to play. We both love softball so it was an easy sell (except for the fact that we're playing in Pleasant Grove).

Now our team is made up of most family members, so we're not all that competitive. In fact we had to be moved down a league because we kept getting beaten so badly. Let's just say we are well acquainted with the fifteen run rule. Needless to say it's been a lot of fun.

That leads us into last night's game. Tara and I have been up and down with our hitting the entire league. We both hit the ball pretty hard, but it's been mostly a bunch of singles. You can imagine how surprised I was last night when my second hit kept going, and going, and going, and out? I can't believe it, but I actually hit a home run. Now I'm not saying that I didn't think I could hit a home run, but I certainly didn't think I would hit a home run. It was awesome and something that made the earlier butt kickings worth it.

We still have another couple of weeks in our little softball league and I'm glad to say it's been a good experience. I'm not going to declare my eligibility for next year's baseball draft, but it's nice to know I can occasionally get lucky with a good hit....

No comments: