8/5/09

TV Obsessions

I know it's not a big surprise that I like to watch TV now and again. What will surprise you are two of my favorite programs: Top Chef and Man vs. Food. I am totally addicted to both of these food inspired programs, but for very different reasons.

Tara and I picked up on Top Chef several years ago and immediately became hooked. So much of reality TV is getting unwatchable (anything on VH1 and most of the networks), but this little show from Bravo has just what the diner ordered. Great drama, fun personalities, elimination challenges - truthfully, I don't think that either of us really care that much about the food, it's too fancy for our naive palettes.

This summer they've had some of the headline chefs from around the country competing in a version of the show called Top Chef Masters and it's been great. One of the downsides to the regular show is the cut throat nature of the competition. Since the contestants are relative unknowns trying to make a name for his/herself the tension runs pretty high (the language can run pretty hot as well). These master chefs they already have a name, so it's fun to watch them enjoy the cooking process and cheer one another on.

Our latest obsession is the Travel Channel's Man vs. Food. There is no fine dining here. This is pure comfort food: hot, greasy, and plentiful. The host, Adam Richman, travels the country to take on various food challenges. So far we've seen him tackle a 72 oz. steak, a 5 lb. hamburger, and the hottest ramen on the planet. The best part of the show is the fact that sometimes Man wins and sometimes Food wins (we watched as Adam couldn't keep 15 glasses of milkshake down - not a pretty sight).

Still, I love the variety of food and the fun hang outs you learn about on this fantastic show. I know there's no way I could finish a 12 egg omelet, but I can certainly enjoy watching someone else take a crack at it.

No comments: