8/23/09

Getting Back to Nature


We just got back from our annual camping trip up to the high Uintas. Usually we like to head up to the hills for a few days, but our schedule has been pretty packed and we only had two full days to enjoy the outdoors. I have to admit I was a bit gun shy on this trip since Alex's puking adventure last weekend, but I figured with Tara's help we could deal with anything that came up.

The trip was to the West Fork of Black's Fork, our usually spot. Everything was great. The weather was in the 70's each day, and stayed in the 40's at night. We had plenty of good food. Lot's of refreshing drink (including a trip up to the cool drink - a natural mountain spring). Plenty of time to sit around the fire at night. It's amazing how much different a camping trip is when there aren't any fire restrictions.

This wasn't meant to be a schedule heavy trip. Instead of an itinerary we mostly relaxed and took the days as they came. I think the only thing we actually planned to do was take the kids down the river in a raft. Everyone had a fantastic time in the water. They loved floating down the stream, even if it took a minute or so to get past their initial jitters. Even when they had to wait for their next turn in the raft the chance to throw rocks in the river was more than enough entertainment. I love how simple things can bring so much pleasure.

When we first started talking about the trip there was some debate about whether or not Dylan would make his first outing. We've had trouble with both Kennedy and Alex at night while they were infants and we weren't sure if we wanted to go through that again. The biggest culprit to a bad night in the mountains is the cold, but Tara made sure Dylan would stay warm as she packed about 5 blankets to battle the elements. Big D did great! He went to sleep about 9 and slept until 6 each morning. I think it's awesome to get kids used to being outdoors from an early age and I'm glad Dylan had fun.

My favorite part of the trip was an early morning hike with Alex. We both got up about 6:30 one morning so we decided to head out and look for some old cabins. I remember my dad always getting up early and going for a hike with one of us, so the chance to have the same experience with my son was priceless. Since Alex is only 3 the hike was a lot slower than normal, but he was a trooper. I had to pick him up and carry him a couple of times, but he went most of the hike on his own. It was a neat moment for us to share with one another and I'm really glad everything went well.

Camping is always a lot work, but there's nothing better than sitting around a fire with the people you care about. Time seems to stand still and you can take in what's truly good in this world. I'm glad we were able to go camping again this year and I can't wait for more outdoor adventures with the kids.

2 comments:

Angee said...

Great job Covilis! I completely agree with your sitting around the fire theory. I hope someday you'll take the Drapers to the Covili spot...

chappo said...

I am jealous. I miss the Uintas. Hopefully we can convene somewhere in SE Utah shortly.