5/29/09

Two Weeks Off

I know it doesn't look like it, but I actually took two weeks off from blogging earlier this month. I can't say it was something that I planned, it just worked out that way. It was the end of the semester for me and it seemed like every free moment on the computer was spent grading some type of assignment. I didn't even keep up with fantasy sports very well. Still, my hiatus made me think about the role the Internet and blogging plays in my life.

In the past year I've created accounts all over the web - facebook, twitter, flickr, and other social networking sites, but blogging has always been my favorite medium of communication. I think I like sharing my real thoughts without being limited to 140 characters or trying to impress someone with a clever little one-line synopsis of my life. I'm not saying I don't like those other services, but blogging has helped me find a voice, my voice.

I say that I use this blog as an online journal, a place to record the goings-on in our lives. Still, I find that I like to share more than just videos and images about our family. Sometimes I feel I get sucked into the minutia of the "brag blog" where we simply detail some major accomplishment by a child or even the minor accomplishments of Tara and me. I'm not saying those posts aren't important, but I don't want to look for reasons to blog. You know the events that I take the camera to, just on the off chance I will have something to write about. If something is important to us, it will make the blog (even if there isn't a picture, gasp).

So why am I sharing all this - I don't know, but I keep coming back to a central idea, this is my blog and I share what I want, when I want.

3 comments:

Angee said...

Amen...

chappo said...

I was enjoying the silence! :-)

THE WILLIAMS FAMILY said...

JARED... I OWE MY BLOGGING ALL TO YOU! I REALLY AM TRULY GRATEFUL FOR YOUR BLOGGING INSIGHTS AND ENTHUSIASM. MY ENTIRE FAMILY IS ECSTATIC ABOUT OUR FAMILY BLOG, AND THAT OUR MEMORIES WILL BE PRESERVED FOREVER... WELL UNLESS A 100 YEARS FROM NOW, SOMEONE THROWS OUR BLOG BOOKS AWAY!!! SERIOUSLY... THANK YOU FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT. I CAN NOW SAY THAT MY FAMILY JOURNAL IS CURRENT. THANKS MAN!!!