A couple of days ago we got into an interesting discussion in the office. The topic: Mother's Day. I was curious what a man's obligations are for Mother's Day. I know I'm going to help the kids buy a present for Tara, I'm going to buy a present for my mom, but how many other presents do I need to buy?
"You should only help your kids buy their mom a present," came the first response. One guy said that he buys a present for his wife from each of his children and then he buys a present from him. Another said that I need to buy three presents, two for Tara - one from me and one from the kids, and one for my mom. He then added, "What are you doing for your mother-in-law?" What?! I have never bought my mother-in-law a present. It's not that I don't care about her. It's just - she's not my mother. I let Tara take care of that one. Is this wrong? Should I be buying a present for my Mother-in Law? After all, she's directly responsible for Tara.
I still haven't figured out the proper etiquette on Mother's Day presents. I just want to make the day a nice one for Tara, my mom, and yes - my mother-in-law. If all the women in my life have a great Sunday perhaps I can avoid the doghouse.
3 comments:
I think that you need to get your wife a present from you and the kids. A nice gift and card, personalized and a bit sentimental is appropriate.
I get my mother a present and try to make my husband get his mother a present.
In the last 6 years, I've purchased presents for my mother and M-I-L because it's easier that way.
I do not however purchase or write in a card for my MIL because she is not my mother.
I think that's the whole point - to make sure that the women in your life are acknowledged and to help them have a good day and to celebrate their motherhood as it relates to your family. I do something for my mom, MIL, my grandmothers, and my sister who is a mom.
Uhhhhh...YOU'RE in the bishopric...and your wife is taking care of three kids under four....YOU HAD BETTER GET HER SOMETHING FREAKIN' AMAZING BOY!!!!
Post a Comment