5/21/08

Weekend with the Girls

St. George has always had a special place in my heart. When I was younger my family would always go to St. George for little mini vacations. We loved playing at the pool for hours, going for walks, hikes and going for drives. We never had an agenda and it was always relaxing.

I guess that's why I was pretty excited when the girls in our family wanted to do a quick trip down south. Our trip was originally planned for March, then April and of course, it ended up working out that we could all go last weekend, the hottest weekend of the year.

So the 10 of us headed out to St. George on Friday. I was with the late traveling group and so we made it just in time for a late dinner, while the early travelers spent most of the day at the pool.

We arrived at our condo and it was actually really nice, except that it was supposed to sleep 6 to 8 people and, well, it barely slept 6. I wish I would have taken a picture of all of us smashed on the floor of the condo, trying to get some sleep. It was classic Houtz sleeping quarters. It seems that we always try to get as many people as we can in a room so we can save a little dough. It didn't matter, since we spent most of the night hanging out and talking.

Saturday was the only full day we had in St. George and since it was supposed to be over 100 degrees, we spent the entire day at the pool. I was a little nervous about being outside all day in the heat, but it was awesome. We spent most of the day in the pool, floating around on air mattresses and chatting. We ate treats, drank Pepsi and I was able to get some good reading in during the few minutes I actually was not in the water. We even spent an hour exercising with a cute lady that wanted us to do water aerobics with her. Sounds boring but when you are chasing around 2 kids all day, it was very nice to relax and not do anything for a few hours.


After a day in the sun, we hit the outlet malls for a few minutes of shopping before a late dinner at the Pizza Factory. Dinner was yummy and then we headed back to the condo for more girl time. That translates to chocolate, Pepsi, a game of Apples to Apples and of course, lots of talking.


After sleeping in on Sunday, we ate breakfast and then just as quickly as it started, our little girls weekend out was over. We packed up and headed home. I was sad that it was so short, but it was nice to get away for a couple of days and recharge the batteries. I owe Jared and his family a big thanks for watching the kids all weekend. They did such a good job that Kennedy didn't miss me much at all. When we woke up on Monday morning, the first thing she said was, "where are nana and papa?"

4 comments:

Liz said...

Good for you! I need to do that very soon. A vacation is in the near future...my batteries need some serious recharging!!

Patty said...

10 Girls? Wow, I'm quite jealous. That's awesome, T. Glad you had a good time doing very little.

Angee said...

Let me get this straight. You can blog about St. George, but not about South Weber? Come on T.

It was good to see June enjoying the shopping...

The Reading Armadillo said...

What a nice, relaxing trip. I'm totally jealous! And now I'm craving Pizza Factory.