You’ve read me comment about being in the bishopric and some of the challenges therein. However, I would feel terrible if I didn’t mention an experience I had earlier today. One of my jobs as a counselor is to attend funerals and sit on the stand. There was a funeral held in our building for a former bishop, Arden Engebretsen. I didn’t know him, but still went to the funeral for part of my calling.
As I walked up the stand, I realized that I was going to be sitting next to President James E. Faust, who presided at the funeral. It seems that Pres. Faust was the Stake President in our area when Arden Engebretsen was the bishop. Needless to say I was a bit overwhelmed sitting next to a member of the First Presidency. It was so incredible to meet Pres. Faust and to talk with him for a moment or two. As most of you know I bought my house from my parents, but I don’t think a lot of you know that my grandparents owned the home before my parents did. I mentioned my grandparents to President Faust and he immediately recognized them. It was so humbling to hear Pres. Faust recall his memories of Grandma and Grandpa Haycock and their service in the church during the late 60’s.
It was wonderful to meet a member of the First Presidency today, but it was even neater to hear him talk fondly of my grandparents. It certainly made me proud to be a Haycock and encourages me to live up to my family’s heritage.
No comments:
Post a Comment