5/22/12

There Goes the Sun

On Sunday our house was a buzz with the prospect of watching the solar eclipse.  Since we were in SL there wasn't a real chance to see the Ring of Fire that many in the southwest would experience, but it was still going to be amazing to watch.  Several people in my neighborhood were getting together with telescopes to watch to solar event together so we packed up the kids and headed over to the parking lot to witness the big moment.

Unfortunately, the clouds started rolling in around 6:30 and they were still blanketing the sky as the eclipse approached.  The peak viewing time for the eclipse was 7:29 and it wasn't looking good.  Since we were in the church parking lot, I told Alex and Dede they should find a place to pray and ask for the clouds to move.  Love the faith of the little ones.  They immediately headed off and said a silent prayer for some help.  I don't know about divine intervention for celestial viewing, but I can tell you that the clouds moved by 7:29 and we had a clear path to watch the eclipse.

solar eclipse 2012

It was spectacular!  I've seen eclipses before, but there was something magical about showing your kids the heavens for the first time.  They absolutely loved it.  Tara and I had a great time as well.    Seeing the skies change and watching celestial bodies in orbit is incredible.  Thanks to everyone for bringing their gear and making our night one to remember.


solar eclipse 2012

PS - In addition to the prayers, I had the kids perform a Sun Dance, in hopes of getting the clouds to move away.  Classic!

No comments: