For my birthday Tara and I went to the movies. And this time we saw a film that wasn't animated or dealt with talking dogs. We went to a movie for grown ups. We went to see The King's Speech.
Going into the film I really didn't know much about the story. Ok, so the Duke of York has a stutter and can't get beyond his speech impediment. I knew that much. This story was so much more.
I am a big fan of Geoffrey Rush to start off. We saw him the movie Shine years ago and have followed his career ever since. He is a real actor (excluding his role in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies). Not someone who sells movies on his looks. This guy wins you over with his ability to become a different person. He is fantastic in this film as the speech therapist. A common man dealing with a larger than life situation.
I haven't seen Colin Firth in many movies, but he was great in this one. Playing the role of King George VI, you can totally empathize with this man who has no confidence in himself. It's amazing to see someone so powerful that can't control something most of us take for granted - his voice.
These are certainly my favorite kinds of movies. One in which the story and the relationships therein dominate the plot. It was interesting to learn a bit more of the history surrounding some of the events leading up to WWII, but this wasn't a movie about war. It was a movie about two men and how they learned to rely on one another. Great film - go and see for yourself.

No comments:
Post a Comment