About a month ago I picked up a book I didn't really know anything about. I had heard of Henry Eyring. I knew he was a famous scientist and that he had written a book entitled Faith of a Scientist. I knew that the Chemistry building on campus is named for him, but I don't venture over to that side of the U very often. Mostly, I just knew Henry Eyring as the senior to Henry B. Eyring, 1st Counselor in the First Presidency. Reading Mormon Scientist has opened my eyes to this wonderful scholar, teacher, and leader.
I think the best part of the book for me was reading of Eyring unwavering faith in God. He didn't need to know how God created the Earth, he just knew that He did. He wasn't concerned with solving the Evolution vs. Creation debate, rather Eyring simply proposed that God is the Creator and that he could create man however he chose. It's amazing to consider that someone who has spent his entire life trying to understand the nature of matter can acknowledge that it isn't necessary to comprehend everything with regards to the beginning of man and the Earth.I've always appreciated Henry B. Eyring's down to earth way of speaking and I can attribute that to his father. Someone who was so gifted and beyond most intellectually and yet, he was willing to work with everyone and found time to explain concepts on your level. Not only that, but I love the fact that he would actually race his students and other faculty. I have to imagine if I was a student twenty years earlier at the 'U' I would have found my way over to President's Circle to take a course from the distinguished Professor Eyring.
1 comment:
Looks like a good book. Thanks for the recommendation.
Post a Comment