4/5/09

Old Friends

Friday night I went to an open house for my old mission. The Philippines Cabanatuan Mission may no longer exist, but the friendships I made there can never end. I haven't been to a mission reunion in almost ten years, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The open house was announced on Facebook and several of the guys had mentioned their intention to attend, but you never know.

I showed up at 6 pm and found President and Sister Lawrence very much as I membered them. Age has slowed them down a bit, but it was fantastic to see how wonderful they looked. Also in attendance were the Francises and the Olsons. I have such fond memories of all these people. The Olsons and I traveled home from the mission together and Ralph was so excited he screamed out "Yee Hah!" as we boarded our plane. Who could forget a moment like that?

We sat around and talked for a couple of hours, sharing old stories and catching up on former friends. I returned home from the Philippines in 96' and now, it almost seems like a dream. Even though the country is far from my mind, the people never leave. My mission was a turning point in my life, and these good people have inspired me beyond description. I truly love them and am grateful for the positive influence that each had, and continues to have in my life.

2 comments:

Pay it Forward Members said...

You're looking good in that picture... 1996 was a long time ago now right? Jared, also I need your help getting a copy of a church doc for tax reasons... Can you email me or give me a ring? Thanks, Brandon

Bryan and Ellie said...

Great post Jared, but who is the really skinny, clean-shaven guy in those mission pictures?