1/27/09

Diary of a Utah Fan

It's been a month of celebrating for Utah fans everywhere. The only problem is football's over and it's time to turn our attention to hoops. I've tried to watch a few basketball games this season and I'll admit, this team is a tough one. It seems like every time they are about to turn a corner, they fall back into the Mountain West crowd. For example I turned on the UNLV game on Saturday to see the Utes were up eight. After watching for ten minutes Utah was down eight and the game was over.

Tonight I was prepared for the a similar result. The Holy War resumed once again with byu coming into town. I was out for much of the first half, in fact, I only turned on the game in enough time to see Lee Cummard drain a shot to end the half. I checked in on the game throughout the second half and every time the cougars were up four to six points. Utah was good enough to hang around but not doing enough to catch up.

The game came down to the last play. Utah had fought back to tie the game and we had possession with 35 seconds left. We held the ball and started the play with 10 seconds to go. Suddenly Drca pulled up for fifteen footer that barely drew iron. The game went to OT and it seemed we were doomed again.

I don't know exactly how it happened but the Utes made every big play in overtime. We made free throws, got loose ball, and made a few defensive stops. In the end Utah won 94-88 and improved to 4-2 in conference. I don't know if the Utes made a stand or if it was a lucky break. Either way, the Utes are 2-0 against the cougs, not that anyone's counting.

No comments: