8/21/16

Head to the Hills

“The mountains are calling and I must go.”
― John Muir


We recently returned from our annual pilgrimage to the Uintah mountains to camp at the West Fork of Blacks Fork.  It was great to return to a spot so familiar to enjoy the wonders of nature.  It doesn't seem to matter how many years it has been, time stands still in this part of our beautiful state. These mountains are part of my earliest memories and part of my family's history.  I'm so happy that I get to share this beautiful place with my children as we build our own memories.

Here are a few of the highs and lows -

Lows:

Rain - For some reason we can't seem to avoid a monsoon for at least one night while we are camping.  This time it started raining, right after we got out of the xTerra.  It made for a long first night, but we survived....

Wind - A single gust of wind took the new canopy we purchased for the trip and tore a big hole in it.  Argh!

Hobo Stew - Unlike our experience a decade ago, there were effects from a campfire favorite.  Perhaps the same cannot be said for the tent of Big Al.

Highs:

Family - We love going camping with my dad and Jason's family.  This time we were lucky enough to bring Alicia's boys along as well.  Quinn enjoyed his first time camping - even if he wasn't sure he was going to make it the first night.

Cool Drink - For the past few years the road to a natural spring we visit has been closed and barricaded.  This year, it was open again.  Better yet the road had actually been developed somewhat making for a "good" ride.

Ford F150 - My dad decided to rent a truck for the trip.  And what a truck it was.  We've had our xTerra for over 12 years now and I have to say - a truck may be in our future.  It was AWESOME!

IMG_3467

DSC_0142

DSC_0212

DSC_0226

DSC_0197

DSC_0189

DSC_0178

DSC_0167

DSC_0159

DSC_0149

1 comment:

miche said...

Yay, you blogged! I'm so glad to see that at least one other person hasn't given up on the family blog. I'm trying to catch up - I'm many months behind, but I'm determined to do it. Although, just starting fresh like this with new material sounds very tempting. I'm so grateful that you showed me how start my blog 11 years ago. I loved reading about your camping trip. That spot is special to us too. Wish we could have been there with you. Talk about our old Nissans... I was so sad to see ours go this year. Glad to see yours is still out having fun. XO Covilis!!!