A few weeks ago I first heard about Pete Frates and the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. I was watching ESPN and they did a profile on this former Boston College baseball player who was trying to raise awareness on ALS, the disease he contracted a while earlier. If you haven't seen the original story, it's a must watch.
I was overwhelmed by the power of one man. Still, it seemed like Pete's challenge would be like so many others. A heart warming story that came and went with the news cycle.
But it didn't go away.
For whatever reason the challenge has truly gone viral. Athletes, politicians, actors all jumped on board.
Then it spread.
Moms, Dads, teachers, and even kids all wanted to jump into the act.
Well, long story short.- even my family has gotten into the act. Last night Kennedy did the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. Take a look:
Dede may not fully understand the destructiveness of ALS, but I'm still proud of her for taking the challenge. I know Tara and I will support the cause of fighting ALS, even if we don't dump buckets of water over our heads. We both saw how this disease affects families with the death of Tara's Uncle Sterling last year. Sterling was an amazing man and it was so hard to see him lose his battle with ALS. The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is a powerful movement and I'm glad we've become part of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment