11/9/13

TEDx

I present for a living.

Most of the time I present to groups of teachers in a classroom setting.  But I've presented on stage in front of several hundred people.  I won't say I don't get nervous, but I'm used to sharing my ideas with many people present.  So, when I was approached about a presentation for Canyons School District I didn't think much of it.  Then I learned it was a TEDx event.  That changes everything.

If you've never heard of TED - it is a large conference held in California every Spring.  It's a who's who of speakers - former presidents, CEO's, major celebrities.  The conference has gotten so large that they've franchised out their name for groups to create their own startup conferences - TEDx.  This is where I come in.  There's no way to get an invite for the real event, but TEDx is gaining steam in the education world.  Still, this was the first TEDx event for a school district in Utah.

I was as nervous as I've ever been presenting.  Even though I knew what I wanted to say the stakes are definitely raised when you think that TEDx events are recorded and shared as part of the TED YouTube channel.   In the end, I'm so glad I presented.  I don't know if my little talk will change the world, but it helped me feel like I was part of something that's bigger than I am.

Ever since I watched my first TED talk I knew I wanted to participate in someway, shape, or form.  Now I can say - I'm a TED speaker (sort of).

Untitled


If you want to watch the presentation here it is:

No comments: