Then, I started looking into the hike they were going on in Capitol Reef. I really wanted to go. I haven't really hiked much in that part of the state and it looked amazing. I decided I would attend so I could go on the hike.
Conference started on Thursday and we drove, and drove, and drove. The Boulder Mountains aren't exactly close to Salt Lake. Still, it was a fun trip and I got a kick out of listening the Deacons' conversations. These guys can really get going on all things soccer, school, and Taylor Swift.
On Friday we woke up early and set out for Sulphur Creek. It was a beautiful walk through the towering red rock. The hike was about 5 miles, but most of it was pretty flat and after the first mile you were inside the canyon walls. I had a great time walking and talking with the kids. You can really learn a lot about someone while on a hike. It was nice to hear about what's important to our YM/YW.

When we stopped for lunch the fun kicked in. One of the best parts of Sulphur Creek is some of the waterfalls you encounter along the trail. We had a great time sliding down the rock into a pool at the bottom. Of course I couldn't resist and went down a couple of times. It's what I love about hiking in canyons!
We went back to camp and everyone settled into to fun games and good competitions. There were some marathon games of Mafia and a few intense card games. The kids had a great time hanging out with one another.
I think the highlight of the trip was the evening devotional and testimony meeting. I've been to Youth Conference pretty much every year since I've been married and this testimony meeting took the cake. Every testimony meeting is special, but this was one of the five most spiritual meetings I've attended in my entire life. The kids really poured out their souls to one another and to our Heavenly Father. It was something I'll never forget.
After everything was over the hike was merely an afterthought. The conference was all about the kids and the great leaders I work with. I can't say enough about the incredible people in my ward. In the church we like to use the term ward family and that couldn't fit this group any better. I may have gone to Youth Conference for a hike in Capitol Reef, but I left with a deeper love for our Youth, our leaders, and the Lord.

2 comments:
Great post. You always talk about the best of your callings. I need to be more like that.
Speaking of hikes and waterfalls, I should thank you for the recommendation for the slot canyon hike in Kanarraville. That was a cool spot and the kids had a blast sliding on the rocks. Thanks also for the great comment on my Taylor post. It makes my day that anything I say would make your day. Can't wait to see you guys in a couple weeks!!
Beautiful post Jared... the Youth are lucky to have you.
Post a Comment