We packed up a few boxes of different cans, bread, vegetables, etc. and headed out to find the recipients. I had another YM leader and a van full of YW to take out for the drop offs. For the girls it was their first time to deliver food as part of a service activity and I was excited to see their reaction.We had some mixed results. One no show at the door. A mixed up identity issue at an apartment complex. A trip to the "Duck Lady's" house (You just have to imagine a garage full of 20 ducks - sure the neighbors love that one). Our one sure fired success was a visit to an older widow who made the girls feel so good about their visit. She gave them each a hug and thanked them over and over for coming to visit her. What a great chance to feel the spirit of service!
As our night was drawing to a close I asked the YW what they had learned through our activity. I was sure they'd mention the joy of service, or the chance to meet someone who's lonely. NOPE.
"Don't become a HOARDER!"
You've got to love the Youth.

No comments:
Post a Comment