For the last couple of months Tara and I have been engaged in a debate. Is it time to join the 21st Century or stay back in the 19th Century?
How could we make this dramatic jump? Simple, get rid of our land line phone. I started thinking about this earlier this year, but never really looked into the steps required. Then I noticed my bill. I was paying $47 a month for my land line from QWEST. What?! This is a phone that we don't really even use.
Why were we still paying for such an outdated phone? To me it came down to one word - TRADITION. Think about it. Most of us grew up in a time before cell phones. There wasn't any other choice than to sign up with the phone company for service. I actually remember how excited I was when we got our first phone number after we were married. It was a sign that we were adults, independent and free.
Little did I realize that freedom was actually captivity. The phone company never provided us with any more services, but our bill kept creeping up. When I finally wised up and started checking into things VOIP (voice over Internet) made total sense.
Now I can hear the cell phones crowd laughing out there right now. Why even have a phone at home? It came down to two issues: 1) As the kids get older and start getting calls we wanted to have a phone they could use that wasn't one of our cell phones. 2) I don't want to give out my cell number to everyone. Sure, I use Google Voice, but it still means that everyone ends up calling my cell phone. Having a home phone gives me a buffer from all the Ward phone calls.
Last week we finally made the break and canceled our QWEST service! Now that is real freedom. Since we switched to Ooma the only bill we pay is for Federal fees ($3.47 per month). Is it perfect? No. But is $3.47 better than $47? No question about it!

2 comments:
I totally agree w/your reasons for wanting to keep a phone at home that isn't a cell. I also add to the list - safety. There needs to be a phone in the house in case a babysitter needs to make a call, in case a kid comes home to an empty house, in case a tiny person needs to call for help and can't find mom's cell phone. etc. etc.
Geez, Jared, we don't even have a cell phone yet. I guess we are really behind.
Post a Comment