5/17/10

Power Flex = Pain

Even though Tara and I have lost some weight recently we still feel terribly out of shape. Dieting can help you shed some pounds, but it doesn't get you feeling strong.  Then we got a membership to the local fitness center.  Now, I'm not unfamiliar to working out.  I've biked, run, and lifted off and on for several years.  My problem is that when it starts getting tough, it's easy not to push it to the next level.  With the gym membership in hand we decided to try some of the fitness classes the center offers.

The one that sounded best for us was called Power Flex.  It's a combination of cardio and strength training. I had to laugh on the first night when I saw everyone using light weights or resistance bands.  I've usually gone for high weight and low reps.  I quickly learned that I would die in this class if I tried to use high weights.  The trainer had us moving between several different exercises, each one designed to isolate a specific muscle group.  I've targeted shoulders, biceps, abs, etc. on my own but this lady was trying to kill me.

For example.  I normally do 20 push ups at a time.  So did she, but we did it 3 times in a row.  From 3 different angles.  By the time we were on the last set my arms felt like jello.  Now think of this for each of your major muscle groups.  I could barely walk out of the fitness room.  Of course, the next day I could barely walk - period.

I guess I just need to get used to the routine.  I'll admit it though  - the guys walking around working on their bench presses have nothing on the ladies (and me) doing Power Flex....

No comments: